In January of 1872, Colonel James Powell mentioned creating a corridor in his first report to the stockholders of the Elyton Land Company.
This corridor was to be a plot of land 1000 feet wide and 4780 feet long located in the center of Birmingham’s street grid.
He called this strip of land The Railroad Reservation. Its purpose was for use by the railroads and related industries.
This land served the city by providing needed infrastructure for many years. Then the day came when steel production was replaced with medical and educational services, and this area was no longer used.
Just as Birmingham had to adapt to change, so has the land. Today, this area serves the city as the home of Railroad Park. It’s a beautiful place for families to come to relax, kids to play, and lovers to walk hand in hand.
Thirty percent of the park is water. It features a beautiful spring-fed lake with a bio-filtration wetlands area.
Across the street from the park is Regions Field a newly constructed 8,500-seat baseball stadium and home of the Birmingham Barons.