Built in 1861, the Kymulga covered bridge is located just east of the Kymulga grist mill off of Alabama Hwy 76 in Childersburg, Alabama. The bridge is a Howe truss style bridge constructed over a single span. The 105 foot bridge provided access across the Talladega Creek for the Old Georgia Road, a Native American trade route which was used by settlers and frontiersmen who ventured the area.
In 1864 Confederate Army Captain George H. Forney hired G.E. Morris, a German contractor, to build a four story mill powered by three water turbines. Forney was later promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and was killed during the Battle of the Wilderness in Virginia before the Mill could be completed. Afterwards his wife allowed Morris to finish the mill. Most mills were burned by the Union during the Civil War, but the Kymulga Mill was spared.
In 1941 the US government purchased land adjacent to Kymulga Mill for the Alabama Ordnance Works, a military installation. Workers would used this bridge to cross Talladega Creek to go to and from the facilities. Kymulga Park was acquired by the City of Childersburg in June 2011. It is currently managed by the Childersburg Historic Preservation Commission.
An engineering firm determined that due to some unusually heavy rains during recent years as well as vibration that has occurred over time from the turbines and other factors the mill’s foundation had deteriorated and the structure was unstable. The engineers said the structure could fall into the creek at any time or stand another 20 years.
A plan was put into action to construct a dam upstream from the mill to divert water into the original diversion canal that was dug by slaves and used when the mill was originally constructed.
Steel was purchased and volunteers are currently shoring up the foundation with these metal beams to provide the needed support.