The Horton Mill Covered Bridge is a Town Lattice Truss construction over two spans and crosses the Calvert Prong of the Little Warrior River in Blount County, Alabama. It is located on Horton Mill Road and Covered Bridge Circle off State Route 75 about 5 miles north of the city of Oneonta.
The original bridge was built in 1894 about 3/4 mile downstream from the current location. Thurman M. Horton, who was a local businessman helped construct the first bridge. The bridge provided the residents of Sand Mountain access to nearby Oneonta and Horton’s Mill.
In 1934 Talmedge Horton, a descendent of Thurman Horton, moved the bridge to its current location. The project was led by his foreman Zelma C. Tidwell, who also was involved in the building of three other prominent covered bridges in Blount County (Easley, Nectar, Swann). Tidwell and his 15-man crew completed the project in 1½ years. At a height of 70 feet, the 220-foot long bridge is the highest historical covered bridge above any U.S. waterway.
After being closed in 2007 due to vandalism, the bridge was repaired and reopened in 2013. The Horton Mill Covered Bridge is maintained by the Alabama Historical Commission, Blount County Commission and the Alabama Department of Transportation.
Coordinates: 34°00′27.52″N 86°26′55.05″W